News for December 2017
BSODR is sad to announce the passing of Professor Martin Hobdell, world-renowned expert in oral epidemiology, health inequity and health service delivery and a long-time member of IADR.
An obituary published by the American Dental Association can be accessed below.
29 December 2017 Obituary
BSODR is pleased to announce that it is hosting another Early Career Researchers workshop, which will held on Wednesday 28th March (10.00am - 4.00pm) at the Dental School, University of Glasgow.
The workshop is entitled "How to obtain research grant funding" and will consider various aspects and perspectives of the process of writing research grants and obtaining funding.
The purpose of our ECR workshop series is to provide advice and guidance to junior researchers (clinical and non-clinical) across a wide range of academic areas.
Registration is free and open to IADR/BSODR members only, and will open in January. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
Further details (including a draft programme) will be sent and posted on the BSODR website in due course.
22 December 2017
Congratulations to Joshua Twigg (School of Dentistry, Cardiff University) on becoming the recipient of the 2018 IADR Norton Ross Fellowship for the British Division. Well done!
22 December 2017
BSODR will hold annual prize competitions during the next IADR/PER General Session & Exhibition, which takes place in London, UK from 25th to 28th July 2018. BSODR will host the following prizes with eligibility for undergraduate and postgraduate students and early career researchers:
- Senior Colgate prize
- Junior Colgate Undergraduate prize
- Unilever Poster prize
- GSK-Mineralised Tissue Group (MINTIG) Travel award
- Voco Prize for Dental Biomaterials Research
- Oral Medicine and Pathology (OMP) group prize
Enter on-line during abstract submission. Please check the eligibility criteria at http://www.bsodr.org.uk/awards/prize-eligibility.html and remember that you may enter for one prize only.
Those entering the Colgate prizes should also indicate their willingness to also be considered as the BSODR entrant for the IADR Hatton Prize in 2019. Please note that due to the high popularity of the Senior Colgate prize, entries will be triaged and judged on your abstract and a 1,500-word manuscript also to be submitted as part of this prize entry (approximately 4 weeks after abstract submission).
For further information, email Prof Rachel Waddington, Chair of the BSODR Awards Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
15 December 2017
This year, the Faculty has formed partnerships with the British Society of Paediatric Dentistry (BSPD), the Association of British Academic Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (ABAOMS) and the British Society for Oral Medicine (BSOM) and will be offering a number of research fellowships and pump-priming grants:
- A Joint FDS RCSEng-BSPD fellowship should related to research promoting children’s oral health and will support a clinical trainee in Paediatric Dentistry who is pursuing an academic career and research training.
- Joint FDS RCSEng-ABAOMS pump-priming grants for up to £10,000 and are intended to support research in Oral Surgery and OMFS. This grant is for researchers and clinicians who are not yet established and have not completed either a PhD and/or clinical training.
- Joint FDS RCSEng -BSOM pump-priming grants for up to £10,000 and are intended to support research designed to benefit community or population oral health, and should be related to the field of Oral Medicine.
In addition to this, the Faculty will continue to invite applications for the FDS Research Fellowships and the FDS Pump-Priming Grants:
- Research fellowships of up to two years duration to support clinical trainees to obtain research training. The proposed research should be of relevance to oral and dental research.
- Up to five pump-priming research grants up to the value of £10,000 each per year. These grants are designed to meet research consumables costs for new or existing projects.
Applications are now open and will close on 16th February 2018 at 5pm. I would be very grateful if you could please disseminate this information and the attached poster to any parties that may find this of interest.
If you have any queries please contact Nikki Walcott: email@example.com
14 December 2017 2018 FDS Research Poster