Awards and Prizes
The BSODR administers and awards a number of research prizes that are normally held annually during the scientific meetings of the BSODR or BSODR meeting that form part of the Pan European Region meeting of IADR. Due to recent travel restrictions and meeting cancellations, caused by the Covid19 pandemic, the BSODR Management Committee has decided to hold as many of the prize competitions as possible, during a BSODR Virtual event to be held over the two days of Thursday 10th and 11th September 2020.
Prize information and eligibility for individual prizes
For full information specific to the prize available for entry please click on the relevant link:
Important: Researchers are only eligible to enter for ONE of the following BSODR prize in any given calendar year. If applications are made to more than one prize, your applications to all prizes will be declared non-eligible for that year.
Applicants must be members of BSODR/IADR at the time of submission. Click here to join BSODR/IADR
- Senior Colgate Prize
- Junior Colgate Prize
- Septodont Poster Prize
- GSK-Mineralised Tissue Group (MINTIG) Prize
- VOCO Prize for Dental Biomaterials Research
- BSODR President’s Prize
All entrants should submit an abstract to their chosen prize to the email address of the nominated prize co-ordinator by 11.59pm Friday 10th July, 2020. Retrospective entrants will not be considered.
The abstract should contain research that has not previously been published at time of submission. An abstract previously submitted to the 2020 IADR or PER meetings will be accepted. Please note we will only be publishing any abstracts as a digital conference booklet available to all those registered to attend the BSODR Virtual event.
Applicants for the Senior Colgate prize are additionally required to submit a short manuscript of approximately 1500 words, summarising your research presentation, in addition to an abstract submission (see Prize information Senior Colgate Prize).
Prize competitions are normally open to early career researchers or postgraduate students. The only exception to this is the Junior Colgate prize which is open to applicants who performed the research as an undergraduate students only (applicants may have subsequently graduated within the past 2 years).
All entrants must read eligibility criteria given in the details for each prize. Within your application you are required to provide a statement that you are eligible to apply (see eligibility statement below, which you can/paste to your application email).
New for 2020: Due to the high number of applicants normally applying for BSODR prizes and due to limited timed space available within the Virtual BSODR meeting programme and to maintain the spirit of celebrating research excellence amongst our young researcher, all abstracts will be triaged and only those demonstrating the highest quality will be permitted to make a presentation. Applicants will be informed by the 10th August if their abstract has been selected.
For all prizes, applicants must include in their email for submission the following eligibility statement completed (copy/paste) by making an appropriate response:-
- That you have only entered to be considered for one of the BSODR prize:- YES / NO (name the prize you intend to apply for).
- That the studies to be presented were undertaken whilst affiliated to a UK based University (research may involve work in collaboration with colleagues abroad, but your home institution should be based in the UK); YES / NO.
- That (depending on the award) you are either a undergraduate student, postgraduate student, or researcher in the early stages of your research career (ie research student or postdoctoral researcher, research fellow or newly appointed lecturer within 5 years from award of your PhD). YES / NO
- That you can claim at least 75% input into the study (i.e. that data collection is wholly from your effort, but allowing for expected academic input from supervisors and the rest of the research team named on the abstract); YES / NO
- You are a fully paid member of the BSODR/IADR – please give your membership number so that this can be checked against our records YES / NO my membership number is:xxxx
- That you are available to present at the Virtual BSODR prize event which will be held over the two days of Thursday 10th and 11th Sep. 2020 (session time to be confirmed).YES / NO
It is the policy of the BSODR to provide informal feedback on the judging process to the prize entrants, if requested. Queries should be made in the first instance, to the Chair of the Awards Committee: Professor Rachel Waddington (WaddingtonRJ@cardiff.ac.uk)